could it be the water?



We watched an older movie the other night, 21 Grams. The beginning and the end of the movie gives a false idea as to the gravity of the story in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, the lead character in a voice-over talks about how we all lose 21 grams when we die, evidence of the soul? When the movie came out I thought that was the point of it and I wanted to see it. At the time I would have taken any evidence of a soul, life after life, a way out, anything to give me some kind of hope.
Well, in the words of Cher, I believe in life after love. But back to death; I've had many pets over the years and have been present, stroking the head or holding a paw as they left this world. The sight of death as it happens hasn't left me. Some are more pronounced than others but all are profound. I did watch once as a motorcyclist passed away but he had been limp during the whole event and it was dark. The heartwrenching cries of his friend echoed through the otherwise quiet night.
I think too that as my age advances I think more about death from a purely practical aspect like the well being of my pets and my home in the event of my passing (that's the Virgo in me, always practical and planning) but also the philosophical and the wonderment about the next phase of existence.
I was watering my wildflower garden this morning and turned off the water to move the hose. My hose is very long and there's a couple of sections pieced together. As the last of the water flowed through I saw the hose respond very like one of my cats as they passed away quietly in the vets' office. I wondered as the heart stops the body stops pumping our blood. Is that what I was seeing? The flow of our life's' liquid stopped? Is it just water? Is it the soul? Is water our soul? I don't know and I'm not promoting this idea but after looking at some of the experiments done with freezing patterns of water there is a hint of some intelligence there and it's fascinating. (check out this book: The Healing Power of Water, Masaru Emoto, or Facebook group The Water Consciousness Movement for interesting perspectives.)
My sister once recounted her idea of what happens to our soul once we die and that was that our soul rejoins the great collective of souls or energy, whatever our essence is. I believe her view was closest to Buddhist or Hindu teachings. Our ego, that thing we identify as, in this life falls away. That, while beautiful, left me feeling a bit empty and lacking any purpose.
My ego asks, 'Why bother accomplishing anything if it all dissolves into the mist?'
Oh, okay, right....it does all dissolve into the mists anyway unless we leave our mark on the world by works, deeds, children, and friendships. Then there's that whole concept of karma. So with no ego attached our soul is on a mission to accomplish certain lessons necessary to move forward in the celestial realms. Each lifetime trying to guide our being through trials and lessons. I can certainly say my own reality resonates with that idea. My own version of immortality was something like that we live on so long as we are remembered by someone. Our essence is carried on as those we left behind They carry us in their memories and consider our impact. It's heaven when we have been loved and are remembered in love, hell when our legacy is pain and suffering. Upon reflection that seems to be tied to the ego and not the soul. Then I quiet myself by just saying that it doesn't matter. Whatever happens, happens anyway, no matter what we believe.
I once read a book, Many Lives, Many Masters, the author's name is Brian Weiss. It might be bunk or absolute truth but it felt real to me that we humans might travel in soul families and that we might come back time and time again reworking and perfecting our relations each time. It was a very comforting vision. After I read that book I didn't fear death anymore and that was a long time ago. I would most like to hope that Mr. Weiss' version of the afterlife is true.
As for the water, maybe it's a combination of my sisters' version and Weiss' version, and the carrier is the water. We are mostly water anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts