spring to summer

I was really looking forward to Spring this year to watch how the various things I have planted had fared over the winter. The strangely warm January confused my Witch Hazel into not blooming this year and my little peach tree seems to have a bug or several but the balance seems to be fine.
I have used nearly every morning to walk slowly around the front yard to witness the daily changes, take photos of the flowers, and post my prizes on social media.
In late April or early May, I began to wax poetic over a wildflower garden I had in the late '90s. It was along the secondary driveway to the house we were renting. There had been a sloped, unplanted spot and we asked the landlady if we could plant flowers in it. The process had been simple and the seeds had come from the local hardware store. We just rolled out the "carpet" of seeds, watered them, and watched them grow. I wish I had photos of the thing when I think back. I know the mind has a habit of altering things but my memory is of a changing flower scape that morphed from month to month to match the season perfectly. In early spring all the flowers were shades of blue and white, dissolving into pale yellows with pinks. Then as the days grew hotter and more humid the yellows deepened, adding orange and red into the mix. By Mid-summer the whole garden was a cacophony of colors and shapes. After the solstice, things started to change again, the blues became purple, pink was sparse, orange, yellow and gold took the lead. Goldfinches played in the taller plants grabbing seeds as the heads of passing flowers bowed towards the earth. Finally, in the fall, the remnants stood brown and withering, bending into the driveway and the autumn rains beat them all down. The next spring it all began again with the colors and fragrance, the birds and oftentimes I would catch people stopping on the street to take pictures. I was very proud of this garden. When I got home from work I would always walk the length of it to greet the new flowers and make note of the passing ones. It was a source of great delight for me.
My landlady didn't feel the same way about it, unfortunately. She was constantly on my case to trim it down or scale it back because the cosmos grew so high and she hated how wild it all was. I loved it. I think this went on for about four years, maybe. The garden was very good at reseeding itself and each year it was just as spectacular as the first.
We moved, the beautiful wildflower garden dug out, replaced with mulch, useless, ugly mulch and I have planted everywhere I've lived ever since.
I'm not a fan of summer as many people are but it is useful for the flowers and swimming in the sea. I have a very small front lawn here at my current home and while romanticizing over the garden of years ago I decided to do the whole wildflower garden here. I began by tilling a kidney-shaped section of my lawn and fencing it off with chicken wire. About three weeks ago now, I sowed the seeds I'd purchased online and it is growing. I  don't have any flowers as yet and there are lots of little grasses mixed in with the flowers but I am hopeful that I will manage to recapture some of the magic I created back along that hundred feet of driveway back in the 1990s. The goldfinches are already here, such joyful birds!
Note: The Wildflower garden is growing but not blooming yet. These are photos of my other garden, Peonies and Mountain Laurel.

Comments

Popular Posts